Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Webs We Weave

Note: The last two Tuesdays I've been on vacation outside of the realm of internet access. Yes, such places still exist in the U.S. It was a good vacation; I got to spend time in the amazing world of Yellowstone with some of my family. As good as it was, it's great to be back, too.


A woman I know is part owner of an antique store. She and her partners have decided it's time to get a website. Last Friday she asked me, almost in passing, if the webmaster is responsible for advertising the site, or if she should contact the Yellow Pages herself. For the next five minutes I filled her in on the very basis of having a website.

She took notes, and ended up with a lot of important, useful information.

I took stock, and realized I know a lot about business websites. I already knew I knew this information, but this drove it home.

Im not yet sure how or if I'll use this realization for anything more than the business I plan to start soon, but it's nice knowing I could. And it was nice knowing I could distill many of the important points into just five minutes.

The main points I covered:

  • SEO (search engine optimization)
  • fresh content
  • images
  • not using Hotmail (or another free, "generic" e-mail host) for business e-mail
  • understanding upfront what the webmaster will do and charge.

Do you have knowledge of which you ca share the important points in just five minutes?

No comments:

Post a Comment